As of now at this point the old houses had been supplanted by more up to date workplaces and today, if nothing else, it gives an advantageous course through to St Michael Cornhill. In 1580 the congregation powers here needed to arrange everybody who kept chickens and hens in the churchyard to evacuate them, and after eight years – with parishioners as yet tending to look upon vestry land as their own – they were requesting that local people demonstrate some appreciation and stop hanging their clothing in the congregation region.
Running off Birchin Lane (once in the past Bechervereslane, a debasement of 'whiskers carver' proposing the nearness of a hair stylist or hairdressers in the region), at only three or four feet wide London Court is not entirely obvious and, similar to such a large number of others, under rehashed assault from engineers. This beguiling backwater is no less than 300 years of age, in any case, and still interfaces with the little yet characterful maze of various rear ways and entries that bunch around Cornhill having been remade after the heartbreaking flame of 1748. (This had been begun incidentally by a maidservant at the Swan Tavern 'who left a light blazing in the shed.' Together with her name, more than a hundred structures were lost to the flares which seethed crazy for over 10 hours.)
Throughout the years London Court has had a few similarly reminiscent assumed names – including Sun Court, White London Alley and White London Court – with the present name dating just from 1906 yet of dubious inference. Some little eighteenth-century properties get by along its north side, notwithstanding, including the observed George and Vulture Tavern which holds its passageway in contiguous Castle Court (q.v.)